Stranger Things is a science fiction-horror television series set in the fictional town of Hawkins, Indiana in the 1980s. The plot centers around the disappearance of a young boy named Will, and the supernatural events that occur in the town as his friends and family search for him. Along the way, they discover a mysterious girl with psychokinetic abilities named Eleven and uncover a secret government experiment involving supernatural entities. The series also explores the themes of friendship, family, and the power of nostalgia.
Set in 1980, Stranger Things is an original horror story set in the small town of Hawkins, Indiana. At the center of this story is a young boy named Will Byers who, over the summer between his eighth and ninth grade years, vanishes into thin air. As Will’s friends and family work together to find him, they unravel a series of mysteries involving top-secret government experiments; insidious alternate worlds; and a very strange little girl named Eleven. Stranger Things is a science fiction-horror television series created by the Duffer Brothers. The series takes place in the fictional town of Hawkins, Indiana in the 1980s and follows the mysterious disappearance of a young boy named Will Byers.
The new Netflix original series Stranger Things comes from the mind of Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer (Wayward Pines, Chunk), and stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp and Sadie Sink. Based on the hit 1980s horror film by the creators of Lost and Fright Night, this supernatural thriller takes us to a small town in Indiana where seven young kids in the summer of 1983 have just begun to suspect that something is wrong around them. They soon uncover that their town is hiding a dark secret from its past.
The plot follows the disappearance of a young boy, who was one of the children of a divorced couple living in sleepy Hawkins, Indiana. His mother, Joyce (Winona Ryder), does not have much time for him but Dave (Noah Schnapp), her 14-year-old son from an extramarital relationship with an abusive car dealer named Bob Newby, does. He spends much time at his friend Eleven’s side and has a crush on her best friend Nancy Wheeler (Natalia Dyer). But when he disappears as well, it forces a group of friends to investigate what happened and figure out where they can go from here.
Will’s friends, Mike, Lucas, and Dustin, come across a strange girl with supernatural abilities named Eleven while searching for Will. They soon discover that Will has been taken by a sinister force from an alternate dimension known as the “Upside Down.” Along with Will’s mother, Joyce, and the town’s chief of police, Jim Hopper, the group sets out to find Will and uncover the truth behind the supernatural occurrences happening in their town.
The series takes place in the 1980s, when a young boy vanishes mysteriously under suspicious circumstances. Numerous people all over town begin to have their minds invaded by dark secrets and terrifying hallucinations. Authorities soon close in on the friends and family of the missing boy, but his fate and whereabouts become increasingly more mysterious as time goes on…
As the search for Will intensifies, the group discovers that the Upside Down is controlled by a monstrous creature known as the “Demogorgon” and that there is a government agency attempting to cover up the existence of the Upside Down and the supernatural entities within it.
The group’s search for Will leads them to a series of dangerous and thrilling encounters with the Demogorgon, government agents, and other supernatural entities. Along the way, they also uncover a web of conspiracies and secrets involving the town’s residents and the government agency.
As the series progresses, it becomes clear that the Upside Down and the supernatural entities within it are not just a threat to Will and his friends, but to the entire town of Hawkins and possibly even the world. The group must band together and use their unique abilities and knowledge to stop the threat and save Will before it’s too late.
Throughout the series, the characters also deal with personal struggles and relationships, adding depth and complexity to the story. The series is known for its nostalgia-inducing 80s setting, its horror and science fiction elements, and its strong and relatable character development.
Stranger Things Character Synopsis
- Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown): Eleven, also known as El, is a young girl with supernatural powers, including telekinesis and telepathy. She was raised in a secret government laboratory and used as a test subject for their experiments. After escaping the lab, she befriends a group of friends in Hawkins and helps them uncover the truth about the mysterious happenings in their town.
- Mike (Finn Wolfhard): Mike is one of the main characters and the leader of the group of friends. He is determined to find his missing friend, Will, and will stop at nothing to uncover the truth about what happened to him. He is also deeply infatuated with Eleven and becomes a strong supporter of her throughout the series.
- Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo): Dustin is one of the group of friends and is known for his quirky sense of humor and love for science fiction. He is a lovable character and is always willing to help his friends in any way he can. He also plays a key role in uncovering the truth about the supernatural happenings in Hawkins.
- Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin): Lucas is one of the group of friends and is known for his bravery and loyalty to his friends. He often acts as a voice of reason and is willing to put himself in danger to protect his friends. He also plays a key role in uncovering the truth about the supernatural happenings in Hawkins.
- Will (Noah Schnapp): Will is one of the main characters and is the missing friend that the group is determined to find. He is revealed to be trapped in an alternate dimension known as the Upside Down and is used as a pawn by the supernatural entities that reside there. He is eventually rescued and reunited with his friends, but not before suffering severe trauma from his experiences in the Upside Down.
- Nancy (Natalia Dyer): Nancy is one of the main characters and is the older sister of Mike. She is initially portrayed as a typical high school student, but her involvement in the supernatural happenings in Hawkins leads her to become a more brave and determined character. She plays a key role in uncovering the truth about the supernatural entities in the town and rescuing her friends.
- Steve (Joe Keery): Steve is initially portrayed as the popular and arrogant high school student, but his involvement in the supernatural happenings in Hawkins leads him to become a more caring and supportive character. He plays a key role in protecting the group of friends and helping them uncover the truth about the supernatural entities in the town.